[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: Comparison to ActiveMQ

timfox do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Oct 15 07:39:15 EDT 2008

Where do I start with a post like this?

JBM has been around for a few years now, and is a production quality messaging system.

It's the default messaging provider in JBoss EAP and JBoss SOA platforms and JBoss 5.

We're currently working on the next release JBM 2.0, which is due in Q1 2009.

How is it better than ActiveMQ?

1) Better performance. Far better performance with persistent messages. Even in our alpha release we were significantly faster than ActiveMQ: See http://www.jboss.org/file-access/default/members/jbossmessaging/freezone/docs/userguide-2.0.0.alpha1/html/performance.html#performance.results

2) ActiveMQ is just JMS. JBM will support JMS, AMQP and its own core API. It's fully embeddable in your own application as a set of POJOs

3) Highly sophisticated clustering.

4) A host of other features

I'm not really sure why you think ActiveMQ is so great. Sure, it's a fairly reasonable messaging system, but our real competitors, especially with regard to performance are the proprietary systems (i.e. WSMQ, Tibco and Sonic).

We see a lot of people migrating from ActiveMQ to JBM.

Plus you have world beating support from the biggest open source company (Red Hat) in the world backing it. Contrast that with the uncertainty with ActiveMQ after being bought by Progress recently (who already own SonicMQ).

Also have a look at my blog or the project page for more info.

BTW - polite hint - you'd lend yourself more credibility by posting under a name rather than "obfuscator", which clearly implies your hiding your true identity.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4182368#4182368

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4182368