[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: Comparison to ActiveMQ

obfuscator do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Oct 15 08:23:32 EDT 2008

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your reply. I did not mean to flame you. I just found my question unclear from what I have read, and I was unable to find a quick comparison.

I am a frequent JBoss and Red Hat products user, and my general experience is that the quality is high. But sometimes there are some "not-invented-here" tendencies going on, rewriting libraries because "we can do it better". While this might be true, I feel that it can sometimes hurt other open source projects, and these projects often don't survive in the long run. In terms of being the default for AS and enterprise level, JBoss MQ was also an "enterprise level JMS provider", whatever that means, but it was still largely useless IMHO because of the missing details (DLQ wft, "clustering" using the same db connection etc).

What you bring up here is great and probably obvious to you, but to me it was very unclear. What I am looking for is JMS system which has smarter retry logic than JBoss MQ, is clusterable, transactional and reliable. That is about it. My experience with JBoss Cache is good, so I trust this to be a good way of achieving transactions and clustering. As for the performance, it is not specifically important to my application. A quick google query revealed that JBM retry policies can be set per-destination (which is good), but I got far more hits on ActiveMQ providing the same features, so that raised the question of why someone would like to code the same thing again.

Regarding my name, I can only say that some people have to live with there names being GUID:s, and therefore I am somewhat more careful with my identity. This of course does not mean that I want to hide behind a handle, it's just that I prefer my life not being completely traceable through google.

So thank you for your answers, and please understand that there is a need for quick comparisons for people who don't have experience with every possible JMS provider.

Best regards,

Alexander

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4182381#4182381

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4182381