[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - Is MailFolder.getNewMessages supposed to work?

stlecho do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Sep 11 11:35:45 EDT 2008

Hi,

Since a couple of days I'm trying to configure a way of popping mails from a mailbox. When looking at the code of MailFolder, I'm wondering if the getNewMessages() method is supposed to work.

First of all there is an interesting comment: "This does not seem to be the most reliable new msg check"
MailFolder.java: public Message[] getNewMessages()
  |       /* This does not seem to be the most reliable new msg check. This should
  |       probably be unread msgs with the msgs marked as read on successful
  |       delivery.
  |       */
  |       if (folder.hasNewMessages() {
  |       }

According to the JavaDoc of POP3Folder.hasNewMessages(), the method always returns false.

POP3Folder.hasNewMessages()
  |  Always returns false; the POP3 protocol provides no way to determine when a new message arrives.

I would be pleased if someone could indicate if this has been solved in the mean time :o)

Regards, Stefan Lecho.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4175899#4175899

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4175899