[jboss-user] [JNDI and Naming] - JNDI lookup from JBoss embedded MQ Provider

moonbird79 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 25 10:46:00 EDT 2009

Hi,

i have successfully embedded ActiveMQ via JCA/RA in JBoss 5.1:
http://activemq.apache.org/integrating-apache-activemq-with-jboss.html

Now I like to use JNDI to lookup ActiveMQs ConnectionFactory and the Destinations from a java/jms client outside the application server.

My Problem is, that i get a null pointer object back form jndi lookup, and this is obviously not new:
http://www.nabble.com/JBoss-and-ActiveMQ-with-remote-JNDI-to16961289.html#a16961289

In this thread some JBoss guy writes about this architecture problem:
JBoss answer
"/The connection factories provided by a Resource Adapter (RA) are
typically not available for use by clients that are outside of the
application server. That is, the JCA specification is intended to
provided resources to the application server, and relies upon behavior
on the part of the application server in connection pool management,
transaction management, and security.

Also, for this reason, the JNDI location of the RA's ConnectionFactories
should be located in the "java:" namespace. This namespace is local to
the jvm and has no visibility to external clients./"

So my question is, may I use MQ Providers from Clients outside the application server or may i only use it via EJB components like MDBs ?

I am confused - because JBoss Messaging is (as far as i know) also embedded via JCA and also bound to global JNDI and - I can successfully lookup the JBoss Messaging ConnectionFactory from a client outside !!! Why does it work - is this bug a feature ? ;-)

Thx so far !

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4251537#4251537

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4251537