[jboss-user] [JBoss Cache: Core Edition] - Advice setting JBoss Cache up loading from hibernate and rep

joneian do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 6 18:10:11 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm new to JBoss Cache, but having read a lot about it, it seems there are many features that would be useful to me and would simplify my architecture, so I'm going to give it a go. But first I'm looking for some advice about my particular situation. I have a number of applications with the following architecture:

So there is one server connected to the database. On start up, the GUIs request initial load of data from the server, and then the server publishes to all GUIs any updates it receives from any of the GUIs.

I'd like to see if I can replace it with the following JBoss Cache architecture:

The benefits are obvious - less yellow boxes, means less code I write :-).

I'd like advice about how to set this up. It looks rather like  '9.5.3 Replicated Caches With Only One Cache Having A Store' from the docs.

I've read that you can set JBoss Cache up as a second level cache for Hibernate , which would do all the plumbing between hibernate and JBoss Cache for me. However, then I guess the cache is managed by Hibernate, not by me. I guess this would mean that if I update the cache in the GUI, and it gets replicated to the server, this won't get picked by hibernate and won't get persisted.

>From what I've read, I think I'd need to write a bespoke CacheLoader for my hibernate objects. It looks like there used to be a hibernate cache loader
in jboss cache. What happened to that?

Am I on the right lines?

Thanks,