[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: multiple JBP instance + 1 DB (only one db)

Antoine_h do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Feb 23 14:54:20 EST 2009

I just saw your new question.

yes, the idea is that : "put the logic in source code of admin portlet"
but... bouh !
what when you update for new version of portal.
Transfert the code ?
many risks of bugs.
lot of work.

You can also make a porlet, with one big button for : "update all config".
that would do the clear.
And think, after each modification work, to press it.

By the way : I'm not sure, but it is not a question of flush.
Flush : JBP1 hibernate pushes the change in the database.
but JBP2 won't fetch the new version. It does not know it have been changed "behind him".
That is one of the tricky thing of hibernate : use only hibernate... or becarefull with the cache side effects.
You need to tell the JBP2 cache : "the cache instances are dirty... don't use them anymore... go to the database to refresh them".
don't know exactly where to trigger this in Hibernate, that's why I call it "clear the cache".

***********
may be use the cluster ?
with each version of portal, you have a download of a pre configured portal for cluster. ready to use.
with doc explaining how to etc...

***********
you cannot use cluster ?

I have seen the case (running in prod) in a company.
6 JBP, only one database, no cluster.
and many troubles...

also, same thing, the webmaster was changing the portal with the GUI, on one machine. Then, it had a portlet with "the big button", to copy (batch at night) the database to the prod database, and relaunch the JBP.
so the next morning, the change was on.

they faced many problems, sides effects, constraints...

well... for prod, with several JBP needed... this is not the best way to do.

the only use case constraint that would allow this : only with a portal that change very very seldomly.
Then, I guess, you don't really need the Admin GUI. you can prepare things in the XML files.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4212411#4212411

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4212411