[jboss-user] [Remoting] - running an RMI server on same server as JBoss

jdriver do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Jan 26 16:17:41 EST 2009

I have a method that I have exposed via RMI. First I start the registry using:
start rmiregistry

Then I start the server like this
java -cp <classpath stuff here> -Djava.rmi.server.codebase=file:/d:/blah.jar -Djava.security.policy=server.policy -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=10.38.12.17 com.example.ServerCode

This is working fine, but when I start JBoss on the same server the rmi port gets blocked by the JBoss server. I dug around and found something I could change in the jboss-service.xml that would cause both things to run on same box:
     <!-- The listening port for the bootstrap JNP service. Set this to -1
         to run the NamingService without the JNP invoker listening port.
      -->
      <attribute name="Port">-1</attribute>

By setting this to -1 things work (it was 1099), but what have I disabled? JNP is the JNDI naming protocol right? Does this mean JNDI lookups will now fail on this JBoss?

I also wanted to try and get RMI to stop using port 1099 all together so I would have no impact on JBoss. I've looked into running my RMI server using rmid, but haven't understood whether that will help.

Can anyone please give me some hints?

Thanks - Jesse jdriver at yahoo.com

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4204824#4204824

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4204824