[jboss-user] [JNDI/Naming/Network] - Re: Getting DB connection from jboss pool via JNDI

PeterJ do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 2 11:26:06 EDT 2009

anonymous wrote : Is a Tomcat that runs on the same physical machine but in another process than JBoss a 'remote' client?

Yes. Any Java app that runs in another java process (not the java process running JBoss AS) is a remote client. And app that runs within the same java process as JBoss AS is considered to be a local client.

anonymous wrote : how do you go about letting also JSP's and JSP Beans used in Tomcat profit from the JBoss connection pooling WITHOUT using the Antipattern of putting db resources in the global JNDI namespace

You can't. I'm not exactly sure of why this was declared an anti-pattern, but I think it has more to do with the remote access to the datasource than to placing the datasource's name in the global JNDI area. Thus, even with the datasource name in global JNDI, any local access to the datasource is not exhibiting the anti-pattern.

anonymous wrote : Is the only alternative to run the tomcat instance embedded in jboss?

There is already a Tomcat instance embedded within JBoss AS. Though since 4.2.0 it is called JBoss Web which is based on Tomcat.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4241533#4241533

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4241533