[jboss-user] [Remoting] - Re: Netty JBossRemoting

ron.sigal@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Jul 11 00:06:59 EDT 2009

"mattlf" wrote :
  | Is the multicast in the discovery mechanism going to work over different subnets

org.jboss.remoting.detection.multicast.MulticastDetector uses a java.net.MulticastSocket, and doesn't call MulticastSocket.setTTL() or MulticastSocket.setTimeToLive(), so it uses the default TTL value, which, I believe, is 1.  So the multicast detector, in its current form, is restricted to its local network.

"mattlf" wrote :
  | what is the reason for Remoting2 to use its own multicast mechanism? I read that JBoss cluster is based on JGroup. Do you think JGroup could provide value to JBoss Remoting with its multicast capability?

I wasn't present at the creation of the discovery subsystem, but I'm going to say

1. jgroups, which is very powerful, flexible software, could indeed offer a lot of functionality, but

2. it probably wasn't considered desirable to introduce a dependency on jgroups.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4243038#4243038

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4243038