[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - java.net.SocketException: Too many open files on Red Hat lin

kiranhk do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Jun 27 14:38:19 EDT 2009

Dear All,
We are using JBoss 4.2.2GA on a RHEL with Apache as Webserver.
We keep running out of open files whenever after just hrs since the JBoss server is started.

We also increased the ulimit max open files number ffrom 1024 to 8192 but still we seem to be maxing out this number after a few hrs or when doing load testing. The application that is running on the JBoss server makes HTTP connections to other systems using Apache HTTPClient and the code is releasing the connections using the HTTPClient.

can somebody pls help with this issue.

JBoss 4.2.2 GA, RHELinux -- Quad Code 8GBRAM,

There has been some internal JBoss errors which started occurring at a rapid pace and the server.log went up from 900kb to 350mb in a span of 30-60mins. The following are the errors in the server.log. this error is the only one that is logged in this whole 350mb server.log. there has been no other exception/error logged

2009-06-22 16:20:39,512 ERROR [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint] Socket accept failed

java.net.SocketException: Too many open files

      at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:384)

      at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:453)

      at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:421)

      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.acceptSocket(DefaultServerSocketFactory.java:61)

      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Acceptor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:309)

      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

2009-06-22 16:20:39,512 ERROR [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint] Socket accept failed

java.net.SocketException: Too many open files

      at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:384)

      at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:453)

      at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:421)

      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.acceptSocket(DefaultServerSocketFactory.java:61)

      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Acceptor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:309)

      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

thanks in advance

Cheers
Kiran

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4240533#4240533