[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - when does java release commited memory back to the OS

hari.svnit do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Mar 25 12:29:06 EDT 2009

We have a Jboss server running on a 64-bit windows server with jdk6(64 bit) .
Here is a snapshot the memory usage as viewed from jconsole.

Heap Memory Usage :
Used : 103 MB, Committed : 295 MB, Max : 571 MB

Non-Heap Memory Usage:
Used : 47MB, Committed : 47 MB, Max : 115 MB

Memory Usage as viewed from task manager : 314 MB
Running GC did not have much of an effect on the numbers.

The total used memory is 150 MB but the total committed memory is 342 MB. How does JVM decide on the amount of committed memory ?

Here are the jvm options:
-verbosegc -Xloggc:gc.log -Xms150m -Xmx600m -Xmn125m -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=20 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=40 -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=60000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=60000

We are planning to deploy more such jboss server configurations on the same machine. So we are afraid we may run out of memory. Can somebody please help us out ?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4220988#4220988

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4220988