[jboss-user] [JBossWS] - RestEasy and JNDI datasource lookup problem, datasource come

cliffs do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri May 8 12:04:05 EDT 2009

Hi All,
  I have a quick question regarding a problem I had been experiencing with RestEasy 1.1-RC2 and looking up a datasource in JNDI.  I don't believe this is a RestEasy bug,   it seems to be related to one of the jar files that ships with resteasy.

I have a resteasy easy servlet that I deploy onto JBOSS 5.0.1GA.  At some point in my resteasy application I go and lookup my datasource using:

  | InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext();
  | 	        DataSource ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup( "java:comp/env/jdbc/SomeDataSource" );

However, the datasource is coming back as null.  I did a listing of the JNDI jdbc context, and I see the DS in the context, it's just coming back at null.
I know the datasource is there (configured in JBOSS) because I can get it, and use it via other non-resteasy servlets.

I was able to fix this, be removing multiple .jar files that ships with RestEasy, ( by remove, I mean not deploying some jars with my webapp).  I basically tried to guess which jars were already included with JBOSS 5.

My question is: Does anyone know what jar file may have caused this? So that I don't deploy it in the future.  I'm guessing this may have occured with other JBoss projects but I was unable to find the correct search words to look this up.

Also, can anyone recommend, a minimum set of jars to include, assuming I will be running on Jboss 5.0.1?

FYI, here are the jars that ship with RestEasy 5.0.1:
activation-1.1.jar
async-http-jbossweb-1.1-RC2.jar
async-http-servlet-3.0-1.1-RC2.jar
async-http-tomcat6-1.1-RC2.jar