[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: Multiple clients and message types - selectors?

cpslo1999 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue May 19 11:37:04 EDT 2009

Sure (and thanks so much for your help!).

I have what amounts to a store-and-forward system (let's call it the SAF for this discussion). It feeds multiple client systems. The SAF receives a number of files from different, external systems, which it stores and makes available via HTTP. The clients are each interested in some subset of these files (the subsets can and will overlap).

I am trying to design a communications mechanism that will allow the SAF to send asynchronous notifications to the clients when interesting files arrive. In most cases this will be done as the files arrive (perfect for a topic with client-side selectors), however, I also need to build in the ability to target one particular client from the SAF and re-play the notifications. Say I add a new client system, I need to be able to tell the SAF to send notifications to that new client for files that were received before the client was added (back-filling). Also, if a processing algorithm changes on one of the clients, I may need to send notifications for files that the client had processed once before (re-sending).

It is really this notion of targeting a single client that has me befuddled. Adding a new queue for each client administratively seems like a tight coupling and a fair amount of manual configuration overhead. Using a pure topic, I can't figure out how to provide this secondary feature of targeted playback.

Did that clarify the situation enough?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4231961#4231961

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4231961