[jboss-user] [JBoss Cache Users] - Question about lockParentForChildInsertRemove - when to use

rsmysore do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 17 21:52:59 EST 2009

Hi there,

The user guide/documentation doesn't clearly say in what scenario the configuration option lockParentForChildInsertRemove should be set to true.  My assumption is jbosscache is thread safe by default.  And, with mvcc (which is what we are using), reads dont acquire a lock anyway.  So if I set this config value to false, what kind of "incorrectness" are we looking at?  In the app that I am working on, the parent node is just a collection of similar objects, a logical grouping so to speak.  It doesn't hold any state information (like info about number of nodes etc).

We have a setup that uses jboss cache 3.1.  The cache participates in transactions.    Since multiple threads do reads and writes on this cache all the time, and some of the threads do some intense operations that take a  long time before the transaction commits or rolls back (sometimes up to a minute or more, and our lock acquisition timeout is set to 20 seconds), we see a lot of lock acquire timeouts in other threads.  I don't want to bump up the timeout just for this.   I am considering turning lockParentForChildInsertRemove option to false, but I was just wondering if I am trivializing the effect of this change.

Any input/clarifications are appreciated.

Thanks

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4266200#4266200

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4266200