[jboss-user] [JBoss OSGi Users] - OSGi Bundle clustered (farming) deployment ?

c.vidal do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Oct 23 07:09:25 EDT 2009

Hi guys and hi Ales, it's been a while :)

I've been kind of away from the JBoss world for some time and digging more into the OSGi/Spring world out of frustration from JBoss not clearly embracing OSGi, a little more than a year ago.

But recently I stumbled upon JBoss OSGi again and was really pleased to discover that JBoss had finally stepped in for good into OSGi. Not only have you gotten pretty far into implementing an OSGi container on top of MC but also integrating existing third party OSGi containers into JBoss AS which is really a smart move. Everyone can now find a suitable match.

What drove me into studying alternative OSGi deployment platforms is the need for clustered deployment of bundles. There is Paremus Infiniflow which does exactly that and much more but their deployment model is way too complicated for the average company. SpringSource DM Server 2 will support it in some way but's it's not yet really clear how/when. And both SpringSource DM Server and Paremus are not currently on CTO radars whereas JBoss already is.

At the end of the day, I'm looking for a simple way to deploy bundles to a cluster of OSGi containers. JBoss farming does exactly that with J2EE deployables but will all deployables supported by JBoss MC support distributed deployment (farming) ? And more specifically, are/will OSGi bundle farming be supported ?

Regarding OSGi, will farming be supported both when JBoss MC is the underlying OSGi implementation and when third party OSGi such as Equinox and Felix are used ?

Kind regards,

Cédric Vidal
http://blog.proxiad.com

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4261842#4261842