[jboss-user] [JBoss Web Services Development] - JBWS-2210 : CXF Username Token JAAS integration

Darran Lofthouse do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Apr 9 05:23:58 EDT 2010

Darran Lofthouse [http://community.jboss.org/people/darran.lofthouse%40jboss.com] replied to the discussion

"JBWS-2210 : CXF Username Token JAAS integration"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/536495#536495

Hi Sergey - I have worked on some of the similar areas you are looking at here in our Native stack so have been interested to see your comments here.

Looking at your comments regarding the changes needed in CXF it looks like you are along the same lines I would consider, essentially I came to the same conclusion that the UsernameTokenProcessor within WSS4J is making an unsuitable assumption that you can obtain a users password.

Regarding how all of this would fit with the application server there are a couple of other things to consider, when integrating with the application server we are really looking to pass as much back to the application server provided containers as possible and not just have an independent authentication / authorization  process within the web services stack.

The approach of having two interceptors (one for authentication and one for authorization) is probably the biggest part of this problem already solved.

Where this becomes really apparent is where endpoints are deployed as EJB3 session beans, in this case the container can already be configured to perform authentication and authorization - as a deployed session bean can potentially be called from multiple different clients it makes sense for the authorization checks to remain with the bean.

A second requirement would be related to endpoints deployed as POJOs - although these do not have any container security before the invocation there is still the potential that the implementations will call other secured resources so any identity would need to be propagated for these calls.

The point of these two comments really is to highlight that this is not just a case of obtaining a Subject from whatever app server you are running in but actually associating the users identity with the request so that is propagates for further calls within the application server.  Using the APIs suggested from Anil should help with this so this is just something to keep in mind.

A final feature related to this that I know there is user demand for would be the ability to annotate the POJO endpoints with the same role annotations as used on EJB3 sesstion beans - we were unable to do this for our Native implementation of this as we had to support JAX-RPC as well as JAX-WS but as this would be JAX-WS only this could be an option and may help simplify the role configuration.

Start a new discussion in JBoss Web Services Development at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2047]