[jboss-user] [jBPM] - jBPM 4 is dead?

Maciej Swiderski do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Apr 24 09:58:40 EDT 2010

Maciej Swiderski [http://community.jboss.org/people/swiderski.maciej] replied to the discussion

"jBPM 4 is dead?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/539353#539353

Hi guys,

I think that we shall try to a bit more positive about the whole situation. Of course latest news from Red Hat/JBoss about not getting jBPM 4.x into product list is a bit disappointing but the most important, at least in my opinion is that we know it now. It is always better to have news (even bad) compared to silence.
At this point we know what are the nearest plans for jBPM as a whole. Moreover finally there is some moves towards merging jBPM and Drools Flow. It was a bit dangerous from my point of view, competition between these two could not be too good for end users.

Let's try to get most of jBPM 4.x and focus on next releases. As we could see there is going to be involvement from core developers, most likely limited but that gives us as community a bit more to share. Many of you has stated that improvements, bug fixes, etc have been done by you so why not sharing your work with other community users and obviously JBoss.org to have a better project that could be reused while working on version 5. I guess Alejandro and the rest of core development team will be more than happy to get patches for already discovered issues.

As Koen and Alejandro has already mentioned, let's try to do not panic about it, jBPM will survive and that's the key to stay with it. Kepp an eye or two on migration issues for jBPM 5 to make our life and work easier in coming years and I am certain everything will be all right. In other words let's look at the bright side of life  ;)

I hope that you will agree with me and next releases of jBPM 4.x will be out joined effort.

Take care
Maciej