[jboss-user] [jBPM] - How to handle failed processes/states due to server crashes?

Michael Wohlfart do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Aug 2 10:51:00 EDT 2010

Michael Wohlfart [http://community.jboss.org/people/mwohlf] replied to the discussion

"How to handle failed processes/states due to server crashes?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/555442#555442

Hi,
> 1. Failed process states due to any server crash. How can I restart the processes from the point where they failed?

The processes are executed within a database transaction until they reach some kind of wait state where they need input (signals) in order to continuethis state is persisted to database, I don't see any reason for restarting a process here.
> 2. How will transaction be rolled back once my application is up again?
That's the job of the database as far as i understand.
> 3. How shall I do Exception Handling? May be Custom node? I know this has been asked in other threads too, but I asking it here also because: a) since I am new to jBPM I am not able to understand it, may be a sample example would do. b) I feel exception handling needs to be taken care in such a application where we are interacting with jms & other external services.
That's the job of the user code, you have to deal with your own Exceptions, there is no special Exception Handling besides some obvious stuff like rollback of the ongoing transaction. And then there is some retry code for failed async Job execution and a Retry interceptor for stale hibernate entities.