[jboss-user] [jBPM] - How to handle SMTP failures in a mail activity

Jeffrey Anuszczyk do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Aug 6 07:58:01 EDT 2010

Jeffrey Anuszczyk [http://community.jboss.org/people/jeffgreg] replied to the discussion

"How to handle SMTP failures in a mail activity"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/556250#556250

Hi HuiSheng,
    First thanks a ton for replying - so far you are the only person to do so.  Your posting is most definitely helpful.

    As for my problem, yes the job is most definitely failing.  The error in the JBPM4_JOB table is the full java stack trace effectively saying:

javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: localhost, port: 2525;

The fact that ExceptionHandling is not yet implemented wasn't obvious in any of the docs, wiki postings, etc (although I was guessing it :-)

So if I understand you correctly I need to build a mechanism to check the job table looking for state = error and figure out how to handle it.  If I decide to try it again I can manually fire it off using the management.executeJob(jobId).  I'll have to look into the api's to see if my failure code can manually cause the Process/Job to transition to a different activity - sort of roll my own exception handling.  That would be preferable to hard coding this type of logic in the job error handler.

Is there any expected version in which ExceptionHandling will be added to the system?

Thanks,
- Jeff