[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow

Howard King do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 10 19:16:08 EDT 2010

Howard King [http://community.jboss.org/people/kinghoward] created the discussion

"JBoss tools with eclipse VERY slow"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/556749#556749

I installed JBoss tools (Update-3.1.1.v201006011046R-H111-GA) to eclipse (helios), and everything is runs very slow, it takes about 30 minutes to start JBoss AS in eclipse.

I have VMWare workstation installed, and on my host OS, the above combination runs at reasonable speed, but not on a virtual machine (VM). The vm is given 8 cpu processors (i7 2.8ghz), 4 gigs of RAM, and runs on CentOS 5.5 32bit. I tried to change the eclipse.ini file to have the following settings:
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
1024m
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m
-Xms256m
-Xmx1024m
 But eclipse is still very slow with JBoss tools installed.

I have a seperate eclipse galiano installation with lots of plugins, and that runs great on the vm, but not the eclipse with JBoss tools.

My host machine has 8 core i7 2.8ghz, 12 gigs RAM.

Any ideas about changing any settings so that I can get the combination to work faster in my VM?