[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Re: Add JSF Capabilities in Eclipse says web.xml is malformed

Viacheslav Kabanovich do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Dec 17 04:24:00 EST 2010

Viacheslav Kabanovich [http://community.jboss.org/people/scabanovich] created the discussion

"Re: Add JSF Capabilities in Eclipse says web.xml is malformed"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/576581#576581

Please try and upgrade your web.xml to version 2.4 by replacing its header with

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app version="2.4" xmlns=" http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
 xmlns:xsi=" http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation=" http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee  http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd">

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app version="2.4" xmlns=" http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
 xmlns:xsi=" http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation=" http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee  http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd">

If server supports element <dispatcher> then it should support web descriptor of version 2.4.
If you are not sure you wish to change your working project only for the sake of adding JBoss Tools JSF capabilities, you may roll back this change after the capabilities are added, though it is better to have a shcema/dtd declaration that covers all features mentioned in the content.

It seems we have always considered the behavior of our Add JSF capabilities wizard as natural in that it prevents finishing when web descriptor is missing or 'corrupt'; but now that you have attracted our attention to the problem, it looks like rather a bug than a feature. Compare with 'Convert to Faceted Form' action that allows to add JSF facet when web descriptor is not well formed.

By the way, if you run 'Convert to Faceted Form' action and add JSF facet, then JBoss Tools JSF capabilities will be added automatically to your project. There is just one but serious restriction. Adding JSF facet to an existing project does not allow user to select web content folder, it is supposed to be 'WebContent'; if it has another name, new folder 'WebContent' and new web.xml will be created. That is when our Add JSF capabilities wizard is indispensable.

So yes, I will create a new issue and link it to this discussion.