[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] New message: "Re: How do I enable pass-by-reference for EJB3 in JBoss AS container?"

Jerry Simone do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Feb 4 11:57:43 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "How do I enable pass-by-reference for EJB3 in JBoss AS container?":

http://community.jboss.org/message/524219#524219

Author  : Jerry Simone
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/jlsimone

Message:
Here is some new/additional information and a more concrete example.

I wrote a small, simple-minded application to test solutions to these types of problems. Please excuse the silly names. I have a stateful EJB named HatBean. The HatBean has a getHatCleaner()method that it uses to get a reference to (the remote interface for) the stateful HatCleanerBean. The last line of the stack trace below shows the call to the HatBean method getHatCleaner(). Once the HatBean has the remote interface for the HatCleanerBean, the HatBean uses that remote interface to initialize the state of the HatCleanerBean by calling the initialize() method on the HatCleanerBean, passing it objects that will be retained in the state of the HatCleanerBean. (This initialize() method is my own hack that I use, having only recently learned about the @Init annotation for the EJB3 beans.) Anyway, this stack trace seems to indicate that the container is serializing the objects that are being passed to the HatCleanerBean. One of the objects passed to the HatCleanerBean.initialize() method is the HatCleanerProcessor. I deliberately did not make the HatCleanerProcessor serializable because I want the HatCleanerProcessor to be passed by reference to the HatCleanerBean, bypassing serialization for calls within the same JVM. I see interesting things in the stack trace like MarshalledObjectForLocalCalls which makes me think that the container recognizes the local nature of the call. But further up in the stack trace is a reference to a StatefulRemoteInvocation which suggests remote rather than local interactions. The question remains, that is, is there a way to get the JBoss 5.1 EJB container to quit trying to serialize objects across a local call to an EJB?

Caused by: java.io.NotSerializableException: com.swa.hat.server.domain.HatCleanerProcessor
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1156)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeArray(ObjectOutputStream.java:1338)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1146)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:326)
at java.rmi.MarshalledObject.<init>(MarshalledObject.java:101)
at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.writeExternal(MethodInvocation.java:373)
at org.jboss.ejb3.proxy.impl.invocation.StatefulRemoteInvocation.writeExternal(StatefulRemoteInvocation.java:78)
at org.jboss.serial.persister.ExternalizePersister.writeData(ExternalizePersister.java:58)
at org.jboss.serial.objectmetamodel.ObjectDescriptorFactory.describeObject(ObjectDescriptorFactory.java:276)
at org.jboss.serial.objectmetamodel.DataContainer$DataContainerOutput.writeObject(DataContainer.java:390)
at org.jboss.serial.io.MarshalledObjectForLocalCalls.<init>(MarshalledObjectForLocalCalls.java:38)
at org.jboss.ejb3.remoting.IsLocalInterceptor.invokeLocal(IsLocalInterceptor.java:79)
at org.jboss.ejb3.remoting.IsLocalInterceptor.invoke(IsLocalInterceptor.java:72)
at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:102)
at org.jboss.aspects.remoting.PojiProxy.invoke(PojiProxy.java:62)
at $Proxy268.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.jboss.ejb3.proxy.impl.handler.session.SessionProxyInvocationHandlerBase.invoke(SessionProxyInvocationHandlerBase.java:207)
at org.jboss.ejb3.proxy.impl.handler.session.SessionProxyInvocationHandlerBase.invoke(SessionProxyInvocationHandlerBase.java:164)
at $Proxy255.initialize(Unknown Source)
at com.swa.hat.ejb.HatBean.getHatCleaner(HatBean.java:45)