[jboss-user] [jBPM] New message: "Re: Exception handling in JBPM4"

Ronald van Kuijk do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Feb 4 14:27:24 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Exception handling in JBPM4":

http://community.jboss.org/message/524245#524245

Author  : Ronald van Kuijk
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/kukeltje

Message:
> VegaMilano wrote:
>

> > jedizippy ha scritto:
> >
> > Your custom class would implement the ExternalActivityBehaviour
>
> Well, the custom class - MyClass in the example I posted - is a third-party class and I can't modify it; I have to call its method as-is and I'd like to handle the exception.
>
>  Because it's not the only class and method I would like to call in the process and they have different input and output parameters it's not feasible to wrap all of them with implementations of ExternalActivityBehaviour.
> Is it not possible to make the same things with XML elements in the jpdl.xml file?
No, currently it is not and there is no priority for it. Simply because handling low level exceptions like java exceptions should normally not 'bubble up' to the processlevel. In 3 it was also not adviced to change the process state runtime in exceptionhandlers... So.... Personally if there are java exeptions , I would just want them to roll back my transaction to the state it was and have a retry. What I do not get is why you would not want to wrap them in another java class but do want to handle the exeption in a certain node where you most likely need to create custom java classes per class you have.

How many classes are we talking about? 4? 6? 100?

If there are many, you can always look at the implementation of JavaActivity and JavaBehaviour and create ONE custom node that does waht you want AND can direct/steer the process.... So... be creative, be patient, be polite....

Cheers,

Ronald