[jboss-user] [jBPM] New message: "Re: Upgrade from JBPM3 to JBPM4 woes"

nick bauman do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Feb 8 13:50:22 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Upgrade from JBPM3 to JBPM4 woes":

http://community.jboss.org/message/524855#524855

Author  : nick bauman
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/nick.bauman

Message:
Ronald,

This is really good to know, thanks for the pseudocode.

I did see there were timers on transitions in the new JBPM4, but the goal is to get what we have in v3 nominally working and then evolving it toward the featureset / sweetspot of v4.

*At this time we have decided to back off the migration*, deeming it too much risk. The final straw was the conversion tool barfing on our process defintions: they insisted that an activity without an action (we had them linked to the node-enter or exit event) was "invalid" when clearly they aren't. We found the place in the conversion tool where this assumption is made, so in theory it wouldn't be too bad a fix. But in the final analysis, because v4 is different enough from v3, we are now opening up the playing field at looking at other BPM workflow solutions in Java, including rolling our own.

This note isn't to be taken as a knock against JBPM4. This is more about the confluence of timing, opportunity, reward and risk in our own world.

Thanks again,

Nick