[jboss-user] [JBoss Microcontainer Development] New message: "Re: Profiling the kernel project"

Scott Marlow do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Feb 11 15:45:51 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Profiling the kernel project":

http://community.jboss.org/message/525901#525901

Author  : Scott Marlow
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/smarlow@redhat.com

Message:
Last summer, we improved ScopeKey and introduced ScopeKey.getOptimizedKey() (which returns a UnmodifiableScopeKey).  Some background is also on the forums here http://community.jboss.org/thread/96979?start=15&tstart=1

Anyway, we switched to UnmodifiableScopeKey in some places and still use the mutable ScopeKey in others.  UnmodifiableScopeKey.equals performs faster when passed an UnmodifiableScopeKey, however there are still places that pass a mutable ScopeKey.

One way to quickly find/fix the different code sites that call UnmodifiableScopeKey.equals with a mutable ScopeKey, would be to instrument UnmodifiableScopeKey.equals() to call Thread.dumpStack() whenever the mixed case is hit (so you know which caller to fix).  Or you could set a debugger breakpoint.  Eliminating the mixed class type calls to equals should help (see timing later in above thread).

Further changes to improve ScopeKey and UnmodifiableScopeKey are of course welcome.