[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] New message: "Re: How do I enable pass-by-reference for EJB3 in JBoss AS container?"

Jerry Simone do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Feb 22 10:21:35 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "How do I enable pass-by-reference for EJB3 in JBoss AS container?":

http://community.jboss.org/message/527625#527625

Author  : Jerry Simone
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/jlsimone

Message:
... Only slightly more information, not all that helpful.
I have not been completely sure about whether or not this really was a case of pass-by-reference vs. pass-by-value within the container. When I run my JBoss tests, I notice some strange behavior in the application as well as the NotSerializableException mentioned above. Well, by coincedence, someone was running our WebSphere-based version of the same application the other day and the WebSphere app was showing the same strange behavior and the same NotSerializableException for the same class. The solution in this case was to go to Admin console to the ORB Service configuration for the app and to turn on pass-by-reference (it had gotten turned off somehow). After restarting the app server, the WebSphere app started working normally again. Now I am thinking that this really is a problem with pass-by-value/reference in JBoss.

I have read that JBoss is supposed to, by default, use pass-by-reference for method calls between EJBs  within the container. I looked at the org.jboss.invocation.InvokerInterceptor (I cannot remember what led me there) and I saw that it looks like it is trying to do the right thing with a local call. I am wondering what I might have done (or not done) to cause JBoss to not use pass-by-reference in this case. I am still looking for the solution. Please let me know if someone needs more information from me or examples of my code or configuration.

Thanks all.