[jboss-user] [jBPM] New message: "How to handle rollback due to runtime errors"

Maciej Swiderski do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Feb 23 02:19:14 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "How to handle rollback due to runtime errors":

http://community.jboss.org/message/527792#527792

Author  : Maciej Swiderski
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/swiderski.maciej

Message:
Hi all,

in one of recent posts I have been interesting discussion going on about exception handling in jBPM. As it was described there user code exception should be handled within that code but what about case where user code was executed fine but something else went wrong?

Please consider following scenario:
- there are 4 nodes (regardless of type) that are executed as one transaction.
- some of the nodes modify external systems via different protocols
- no exceptions are thrown from nodes
- runtime exception is thrown due to some db issues

Transactionwill be rolled back but changes made to external system are not rolledback since they were not part of the transaction (for example webservice call).

Have you put any thoughts into that? I was wondering if some sort of compensation mechanism could be introduced to the execution where nodes that take part in transaction can inform runtime engine what to invoke in case of roll backs. This could give kind of undo operation for already finished nodes and should not cause any problems when process will go thru them again.

What's your opinion about it? Does it sound reasonable?

Cheers,
Maciej