[jboss-user] [jBPM] New message: "Exception Handling in node (v3.2)"

Arnoud Wolfard do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jan 13 17:05:33 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Exception Handling in node (v3.2)":

http://community.jboss.org/message/519899#519899

Author  : Arnoud Wolfard
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/awolfard

Message:
Hi all,

Playing around with some jbpm code and I have a question regarding exception handling in a node.
What I want is the following:
When an exception occurs in my actionhandler I want to startup a task so a user can correct the process(-step) manually and signal the process again.

I came with this:

Node actionhandlers all extend the BaseNodeHandler:

public abstract class BaseNodeHandler implements ActionHandler {

    public void execute(ExecutionContext executionContext) throws Exception {
        try {
            String returnValue = this.doExecute(executionContext);
            if (returnValue == null) {
                executionContext.leaveNode();
            } else {
                executionContext.leaveNode(returnValue);
            }
        } catch (Exception e) {
            // Start up another process with a task (async tasknode) to deal with this situation?
            // After manual correction give signal to continue processing?
        }
    }

    public abstract String doExecute(ExecutionContext executionContext) throws Exception;
}

When an exception occurs the node is not propagated (leaveNode is not called) and therefore the state of the process is persisted (right?)
. Then I want to start up another process which creates a task (async tasknode) so a user can make some corrections.

Is it okay to start another process in the exception block?