[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] New message: "Re: Persistence unit issues when migrating to JBOSS 5.1.0"

jaikiran pai do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jan 15 07:48:15 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Persistence unit issues when migrating to JBOSS 5.1.0":

http://community.jboss.org/message/520280#520280

Author  : jaikiran pai
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/jaikiran

Message:
> jaikiran wrote:
>
> Place the persistence.xml in the META-INF of the .ear.
>
> So:
>
> myapp.ear
> |
> |--- META-INF
> |      |
> |      |--- persistence.xml
>

> And let the persistence.xml use the "jar-file" element to point to the jars containing the entities. This is how the EJB3 persistence spec lets EAR level persistence.xml to be deployed. For more details, see section 6.2 of EJB3 Persistence spec.
For the record - my statement is incorrect. The EJB3 spec doesn't _not_ specify that the persistence.xml can be placed in the META-INF of the .ear. According to the spec, for scoping a persistence unit at ear level, the persistence.xml should be packaged in:

*  META-INF of a jar file in the root of the EAR
or*  META-INF of a jar file in the EAR library directory

Note that although JBoss scans the .ear/META-INF/persistence.xml file, it's _not_ recommend that applications package their persistence.xml in this manner, since it can lead to issues like the one being discussed here http://community.jboss.org/message/520279