[jboss-user] [Testimonials] New message: "How to start an open source project?"

Brian Weston do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jan 15 13:39:05 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "How to start an open source project?":

http://community.jboss.org/message/520385#520385

Author  : Brian Weston
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/dreamerme

Message:
Hello,

My name is Brian and I'm the founder of http://dreamer.me.  We're a non-profit search engine - money from our search results go to various charities and causes as chosen by our users.  In 2009 Google made a profit of over $4Billion mostly because they were the market for internet advertising.  Our goal is to create a *open source* and non-profit alternative to google and instead of spending our money trying to build a better iphone, we will be using it to solve the real problems of the world (the environment,health, hunger, and education)

Since we use jboss as our webserver I thought this would be a good place to start looking for some help

I have a few questions
1. How does one start a open source project?
2. More importantly, is there anyone you know who would like to be involved?
3. Is there anyone you know who would like to LEAD the project (and would be capable of doing so)?

(http://dreamer.me is already up and running, we use Yahoo BOSS to generate our search results, it was developed with JAVA servlets/jsp, MySQL, JBOSS, and jQuery)

If you'd like to email me directly I can be reached at http://community.jboss.org/mailto:brian@dreamer.me