[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] New message: "Memory consumption 1h after JBoss start"

Giovanni Formenti do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jan 20 15:34:00 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "Memory consumption 1h after JBoss start":

http://community.jboss.org/message/521196#521196

Author  : Giovanni Formenti
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/gifor

Message:
Hi,
I have a strange behavior on my JBoss during load test.
I start JBoss and after some minutes I start my load test script. After exactly 1 hour (both with 70 or 150 concurrent users of constant workload during the whole test period), I experience a memory consumption even if the workload is constant. Even if I start my load test 30min after JBoss is started, after 30min I get the same result (1h after JBoss start).
The IBM Monitor & Diagnostic Tools for GC say:
"Heap usage seems to be growing over time. It increased by 180% in the last third  of the log compared to the middle of the log. The number of collections also  increased by 820% in response to the increased pressure on the heap. The  increasing rate of collections may degrade your application performance." (and the performance actually degrade!)

My JBoss configuration:
JBoss version: 5.1 for JDK6 on a WinXP notebook
JVM params: -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dorg.jboss.resolver.warning=true -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000
Profile: all
Application architecture: requests to a web service layer, this layer calls an MBean (newProxyInstance) to retrive session info and execute http calls with HTTPClient to an external Tomcat server.

Here you can see the memory trend:

http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/1818/heap.jpg

Thanks for any suggestion on which could be the cause!
Regards

Giovanni