[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - MDB Pool size configuration

Pedro Gontijo do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jul 6 17:54:55 EDT 2010

Pedro Gontijo [http://community.jboss.org/people/pedrong] replied to the discussion

"MDB Pool size configuration"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/551360#551360

I have been suffering trying to tune my MDB's pools so I would like to share some things I found out:

1.
Change ejb3-interceptors-aop.xml its only good if you want/can change the config to all of yours ejbs.
If you have, for instance, many MDBs and want to increase the pool for just that critical one, change the ejb3-interceptors-aop.xml may not be a good choice since all others MDB's pools will be increased as well and some memory will be wasted.
Besides that, you are going to increase a bit your deployment complexity since a file outside your ear/jar needs to be managed.

2.
@Pool or @PoolClass?
It depends on your JBoss version. For <= 4.2.3 @PoolClass, otherwise, @Pool.
I tested only in 4.2.3 and 5.1.0.

3.
@ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "maxSession", propertyValue = XX)
I keep the XX equal to the pool size. The maxSession property defines the "the maximum number of jms sessions that can concurrently deliver  messages to this mdb", so it makes sense to me keep then equal. What do you think?

4.
Using XML (*-aop.xml)
With an ejb jar inside an ear, I could only make it work with @AspectDomain annotation.

Hope it help!
These are just my experience, if someone want to add something, please, do it!

Start a new discussion in EJB 3.0 at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2029]