[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Jboss starts very slow

Eugene Kashin do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 15 01:49:10 EDT 2010

Eugene Kashin [http://community.jboss.org/people/kesson] created the discussion

"Jboss starts very slow"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/552671#552671

 Hello all,

I hope I've chosen a right forum for my question. I have an application running on Jboss 4.2.1 GA, with underlying database (Oracle). Each time I start up the Jboss, it updates the DB schema, checking entities, indexes and foreign keys - it's just OK, it has always been so, and usually the whole process of start up takes about one minute. Without any reasonable cause (i.e., without modifying/adding entities), yesterday I tried to start up the Jboss - it took about ten minutes! And the most time was spent on "Updating DB Schema", something like 15-20 sec per table! I thought it is some performance issue with DB, but the previous version of deployment .ear file starts up itself in usual time - about one minute. Once again, there were not much changes in the last deployment, just fixing some bugs in several beans...And, once starting, application works normally in both versions, there are no performance issues. What can affect the start up time so dramatically? I don't like much the idea to start compare source files of current and previous versions, it can be quite nightmare. At least, if no one could explain it, I wonder to know, how can I switch off the database schema updating in Jboss? I've heard something about *hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto* property, but I don't know where it is. It will be pretty decent solution, since I don't make many changes in entities, but to wait 10 minutes for each re-deployment - it's too much for development stage.

I'll appreciate every help/hint/explanation.

Regards,

Eugene

Start a new discussion in Performance Tuning at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2078]