[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Upgrading JBoss 4.0 to 5.1 - application won't connect

Lance Goforth do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jul 16 16:06:06 EDT 2010

Lance Goforth [http://community.jboss.org/people/lancetx] created the discussion

"Upgrading JBoss 4.0 to 5.1 - application won't connect"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/553101#553101

I have been trying to install a JBoss 5.1 instance and get my application to work under it.  The application has been running for several years under 4.0.5 and is a strict EJB2 application with a standalone java app front end connecting with JNDI.   I had hoped to try migrating to EJB3 a bit at a time, there is no time for a full conversion project, and I need the old application to run as is until I can move parts over.

I got the server jar to deploy fine under 5.1 and haven't seen any errors except for:

Deployment "vfsfile:/C:/Java/jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/default/deploy/properties-service.xml"
is in error due to the following reason(s): java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.jboss.system.server.ServerConfigLocator.locate()Lorg/jboss/system/server/ServerConfig;

Which some of the discussions I've found here seem to indicate isn't a real problem.  It isn't one of my xml files, but one that came with the install.

But when I run the application pointing to the new 5.1 server, it doesn't connect.  I don't see any errors, any messages, just an eventual timeout.  I was wondering if the JNDI providers have to change or if there is something I'm missing.

Not even sure where to go next.