[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Memory consumption 1h after JBoss start

Ruchir Choudhry do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 22 17:37:36 EDT 2010

Ruchir Choudhry [http://community.jboss.org/people/ruchirc] replied to the discussion

"Memory consumption 1h after JBoss start"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/554034#554034

Apprecite your suggestions,

It all depends how you want to do it, JVM parameters gives a lot of flexibility to you and there is no one size fits all.
Moreover my intent was to help the team get some idea, and  not to cut copy the exact thought, Diffrent app requires different type of setup.

We ran series of test "Load, noise, bursting, endurace" with multiple appications on single Jboss EAP4.3 with different veriosn of JDK. Results came best with the setup we have explained.

We used -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=0 because it
promotes all objects  allocated by the application in the young generation, which survive a  single GC cycle, directly to the old generation without copying them  around between the survivor spaces in the young generation. This  setting, when used with CMS collector in the old generation helps in two  ways.
*  The young generation GC does not have to waste its time copying the  10-20% long lived objects multiple times between the survivor spaces,  only  to finally promote them to the old generation.
*  Additionally, most of the collection and cleaning work of these  objects can be done "concurrently" in the old generation. This behavior  leads to additional reduction in GC sequential overhead.

 http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/turbo/ http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/turbo/

This setup was also good based on our test scenarios.

I guess you are bringing some good points, we will use this in next series of test.Keep giving new Ideas :)

Respectfully,
Ruchir Choudhry

 ;)

Start a new discussion in Performance Tuning at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2078]