[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - JBoss Supported Java Standards

Richard Lok do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 22 18:43:47 EDT 2010

Richard Lok [http://community.jboss.org/people/thelok617] replied to the discussion

"JBoss Supported Java Standards"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/554038#554038

Thanks Peter, that is helpful information.

I found the page with the list of functionalities that you were referring to:  http://java.sun.com/javaee/technologies/javaee5.jsp http://java.sun.com/javaee/technologies/javaee5.jsp

Two follow up questions (sorry if they sound stupid):

1) If a certain functionality is listed in Java EE 5, does this mean the functionality must be implemented in the Application Server (and not the JVM)?

2) Taking an example of a specification that exists in Java SE but not in Java EE - let's use JNDI as an example. JNDI has a API for client side and the service layer (SPI) for a provider. Since EE is a superset of SE, does that mean ALL certified EE Application Servers must meet the JNDI SPI provider specifications? Is it safe to assume that since Sun's EE functionality from the above webpage doesn't list anything about JNDI specifications but is it listed in SE? I hope my logic is not wrong, I am still somewhat new to the server side implementations of Java EE.

Thanks very much!