[jboss-user] [JBoss Microcontainer Development POJO Server] - Implementing a non-flat deployment for Weld Integration

Flavia Rainone do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jun 3 15:16:23 EDT 2010

Flavia Rainone [http://community.jboss.org/people/flavia.rainone%40jboss.com] replied to the discussion

"Implementing a non-flat deployment for Weld Integration"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/546115#546115

> Pete Muir wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking about correctness all this time. If somebody places a jar in lib and expects that the beans are created upfront when AS starts, then this would not work using your approach.
>

> Ok, I think we've got crossed wires. You can't deploy a library jar in some "context" outside a deployment. The beans don't get created or anything outside the context of a deployment.
>

> Another way to think of it is that a library in default/lib with a beans.xml in it works just like a library in WEB-INF/lib.
In that case, why the lazy approach wouldn't work?

>From what I can see, if it works just like a library in WEB-INF/lib, it means that we will need to provide a BDA for a lib jar only when Weld requests for one through loadBeanDeploymentArchive, right?

Or, if I'm wrong, do you mean that a BDA for every lib jar with a META-INF/beans.xml should be provided as direct or indirect result of BeanDeploymentArchive.getBeanDeploymentArchives() for every BDA in a Deployment?
Explaining better, given commos/lib/mylib.jar with the following structure:
mylib.jar
  |_
      META-INF/beans.xml
  |_
     whatever classes in here

Say we create a BDA upfront, let's call it MY_LIB_BDA, and add this BDA to DefalutDomain Classpath. No deployment is created upfront.

Now, say my-ejb.jar with a META-INF/beans.xml file is deployed to deploy dir. We create a Deployment for it, of course, and we create a BDA for it as well. This BDA, called MY_EJB_BDA, belongs to Default Domain Classpath. So, when Weld invokes MY_EJB_BDA.getBDAs(), it should , directly on indirectly (i.e., by walking on the BDA graph structure), reach MY_LIB_BDA?

This is different from the lazy approach in which you are not required to call loadBeanDeploymentArchive in order to obtain MY_LIB_BDA.

Is that what Weld requires us to do?

> Pete Muir wrote:
>
> > Flavia Rainone wrote:
> >
> > > Ales Justin wrote:
> > >
> > > Why the rush? :-)
> > > If you ask me, I would do it lazily aka on_demand.
> > >
> > > Scanning the whole common/lib is gonna be slow,
> > > and imo, people should not be using libs to deploy Weld components -- simply put them in deploy/.
> > >
> > > Or why would you do it upfront?
> Because the Java EE/CDI specs require it.

BTW, I've read the spec sometime ago. Of course I don't remember all the details so, if you think rereading some specific part of it might be useful, let me know.

Start a new discussion in JBoss Microcontainer Development POJO Server at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2116]