[jboss-user] [JBoss Microcontainer Development] - VFS3 and symlinks

Rainer Meier do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jun 24 02:52:20 EDT 2010

Rainer Meier [http://community.jboss.org/people/SkyBeam] replied to the discussion

"VFS3 and symlinks"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/549424#549424

I am facing the same problem here and this thread seems to describe the source of my problems but it also seems that people lost interest in the discussion. Does anybody know the status of these VFS3 issues? Any fix available?

Currently I am running a stand-alone JBoss instance installed at /opt/jboss/5.1.0/. We run an application which installs itself to /opt/app/4.0/server/app (the complete JBoss configuration is deployed there). So the instlalation package creates a symlink:
/opt/jboss/5.1.0/server/app -> /opt/app/current/server/app

Note: That /opt/app/current is a symlink on its own pointing to the current app version, currently current points to the 4.0 folder at the same level:
/opt/app/current -> 4.0

Then JBoss is launched with the "-c app" parameter.

After about 1 hour the tmp/vfs-nested.tmp/ folder is starting to grow until it fills up the whole disk (>100GB).

I've tried a couple of settings. For example I've tried to extend vfs.xml to include the canonical URLs as well:

{code:xml}
<entry>
        <entry>
          <key>file:/opt/app/4.0/server/app/deploy</key>
        </entry>
        <entry>
          <key>file:/opt/app/4.0/server/app/farm</key>
        </entry>
        <entry>
          <key>file:/opt/app/current/server/app/deploy</key>
        </entry>
        <entry>
          <key>file:/opt/app/current/server/app/farm</key>
        </entry>
{code}

But it did not help at all.

I also tried to play with JBoss properties to have it pointing directly to the physical server configuration directory by appending
"-Djboss.server.base.dir='/opt/app/current/server/' -Djboss.server.base.url='file:/opt/app/current/server/'
to the sartup options. This makes JBoss read the configuration directly from /opt/app/current/server but still no go, tmp/vfs-nested.tmp/ is still growing after a while.

Does anybody have any hints what I have to configure to make VFS work as expected in this situation?

Copying the whole /opt/app/current/server/app folder to /opt/jboss/5.1.0/server/ works as expected, so it's not an application issue. However the package of this application will maintain the files at /opt/app and therefore a simple symlink would be much easier from maintenance point of view. If the whole application needs to be copied it will have to be duplicated after each package/patch installation.

Start a new discussion in JBoss Microcontainer Development at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2115]