[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] New message: "HTTP threads waiting on JIOEndpoint$Worker.await"

Jason Smith do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Mar 5 01:40:30 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "HTTP threads waiting on JIOEndpoint$Worker.await":

http://community.jboss.org/message/530090#530090

Author  : Jason Smith
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/jsmith085

Message:
*I am doing some load testing using a http playback tool and simulating 150 users, with 40 second think times between transactions.  I'm on Red Hat Enterprise 5.2 on Wintel, on VMWare !*

*My load test response times have become worse and worse as I've added the last 50 or so users and I'm curious about the following.*

*A thread dump of one of our running JBoss AS 5.1 app server shows large numbers of our HTTP connector threads WAITING as follows:*

> *- waiting on <0x1d30afa> (a org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker)
> java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
> java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:485)
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.await(JIoEndpoint.java:416)
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:442)
> java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
> *
*    *
*Is this normal/expected? *

*In a different post elsewhere I saw what appeared to be the code for the await method of the JIOEndpoint$Worker class and it appeared to be trying to obtain a socket.  This led to other post talking about file descriptors (lack thereof) potentially being an issue....how can I definitely confirm if they are an issue?*

*If threads waiting in this method is not normal then what other causes could account for it?*