[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] New message: "MDB Pool size configuration"

Brad Warren do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Mar 9 13:16:15 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "MDB Pool size configuration":

http://community.jboss.org/message/530861#530861

Author  : Brad Warren
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/bwarren

Message:
I'm looking for a definitive answer on configuring the pool size for an MDB.  I've seen several conflicting answers between forum posts and documentation, see http://community.jboss.org/thread/147300?tstart=30

Is it the @Pool annotation?  http://www.jboss.org/file-access/default/members/jbossejb3/freezone/docs/reference/1.0.7/html/SessionBean_and_MDB_configuration.html

{code}@Pool(value=PoolDefaults.POOL_IMPLEMENTATION_STRICTMAX,maxSize=50,timeout=1800000){code}

Is it the @PoolClass annotation?   http://www.jboss.org/ejb3/docs/reference/build/reference/en/html/session-bean-config.html

{code}@PoolClass (value=org.jboss.ejb3.StrictMaxPool.class, maxSize=50, timeout=1800000){code}

Is it the MaxPoolSize ActivationConfigProperty?

{code}
@MessageDriven(
    activationConfig={
        @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName="MaxPoolSize",propertyValue="50")
    }
)
{code}

I've also seen a suggestion to change this section in ejb3-interceptors-aop.xml

{code:xml}
     <annotation expr="!class(@org.jboss.ejb3.annotation.Pool)">
         @org.jboss.ejb3.annotation.Pool (value="StrictMaxPool", maxSize=15, timeout=10000)
      </annotation>
{code}

But that applies to every MDB.

I've also looked at the message-driven-bean invoker-proxy-binding in standardjboss.xml and changing the MaximumSize, but that also applies to every MDB.

I've tried the @Pool annotation.  I see that MaxPoolSize is 50 in the jmx-console, but if I do a thread dump when there are many thousands of messages backed up in the queue, I only see 15 WorkManager threads processing messages.

So what do I need to do to get more than 15 messages processed at once?

I'm using JBoss 5.0.1.GA and JBoss Messaging 1.4