[jboss-user] [jBPM] - jPDL vs. another process definition language

Rudolf Michael do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Mar 23 08:53:08 EDT 2010

Rudolf Michael [http://community.jboss.org/people/ruds] replied to the discussion

"jPDL vs. another process definition language"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/533475#533475

well i have been reading the docs since 2 days now and i can say that i have an 80% clear view on how jBPM works.
The engine is designed to support multiple DSL, so this is good. and i have also played around with the tutorial in Chapter 3.

I am new to this kind of development and i can see that sooner or later people will have the option to write a program/application using Workflows as the logic says everything can be turned into a workflow.

I am working with a team where one of the guys suggested to have the following architecture:
 http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2390/strcuture.png  http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2390/272-600/strcuture.png
as you can see in the above picture, we are building a layer on top of PVM called SMD; all of our classes will extends the jPDL ones and add the extra methods/tags/whatever needed in order to have our own Process Definition Language.
the bcdl, brdl, bwdl are workflows definition that will extend the SMD structure but everyone has its own xsd schema.

For me i do see it as re-inventing the wheel; i just can't convince that guy that there's no need for that, he keeps on saying the following:
As we discuss before, we need to change the XML format from standard SMDL format
To the SMDL format (the SMDL format consist to define the activity under the step tag different from JPDL format).
In JPDL, we have just the custom tag that we can customize our step/activities.

So he wants a new language bc the custom tags will make the graph messy? or will be too much complicated/complex..therefore he decided to write his own tag definition but with extending 90% of it from jPDL

The other concern that i have is that we will be building our own graph designer using flex. so this might lead us to have our own DSL.

so i am still kinda lost in here and i thought of sharing this with you guys in case someone is interested to give feedback/comments