[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Installing JBoss Tools on Eclipse 3.6 RC

henk de boer do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon May 24 06:35:47 EDT 2010

henk de boer [http://community.jboss.org/people/henk53] replied to the discussion

"Installing JBoss Tools on Eclipse 3.6 RC"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/544462#544462

> Karsten Wutzke wrote:
>
> Is there any cure for this (other than installing Eclipse 3.5, which is not desired)?

If I'm not mistaken it seems JBoss AS tools is always exactly half a cycle out of phase with the current version of Eclipse. Meaning, if Eclipse 3.x is released in June, then the JBoss AS tools version that specifically targets that Eclipse 3.x is released in December.

I don't know if this is an explicit policy or if it just happens to turn out that way. I do know that a couple of other plug-ins that enhance base WTP are released with approximately the same schedule. I.e. the MyEclipse version that will support Eclipse 3.6 will also be released around coming November/December.

Incidentally, I did a quick install of Eclipse 3.6 RC1 and tried to install the WTP Server adapter (for deployment to JBoss) and Visual Editor (for Facelets support) from the latest 3.3.1 nightly ( http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/nightly/3.1.1.GA/ http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/nightly/3.1.1.GA/), and lo and behold, but it seemed to install on Helios. Didn't try anything out yet, so it might crash soon, but at least it did install.

There's also a 3.2.0.beta1 and a 3.2.helios here:  http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/nightly/ http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/nightly/

I'm not sure what the difference would be between those different 3.2 versions, but perhaps they are just try-out branches made by the developers.