[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Is Quartz already cluster aware?

Alessandro Novarini do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 17 04:39:42 EST 2010

Alessandro Novarini [http://community.jboss.org/people/a.novarini] created the discussion

"Is Quartz already cluster aware?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/571527#571527

Hello all,

I had a quick search on the forum, so apologize if I didn't see a similar topic about it.

I'm working on an application deployed on JBoss 5.1, and developers now need to move it in a cluster environment.
One of the issues they're facing is the scheduling, because the scheduled ejbs have to be clustered but they must share the same scheduler, so that the ejbs are triggered only on one node and not on every node.

I was told quartz is already configured to work in a cluster, and that the only thing I have to do is to configure the DefaultDS to point to an external db instead of the local hsqldb.

My concern is - before picking the wrong road - that as JBoss starts, with the 'all' configuration set, in the log I see the following lines:

*[StdSchedulerFactory] Quartz scheduler 'DefaultQuartzScheduler' initialized from default resource file in Quartz package: 'quartz.properties'
17:33:40,715 INFO  [StdSchedulerFactory] Quartz scheduler version: 1.5.2
17:33:40,716 INFO  [QuartzScheduler] Scheduler DefaultQuartzScheduler_$_NON_CLUSTERED started.*

This worries me because, unless the cluster configuration overwrites quartz configuration after it prints these lines, quartz seems rely on the quartz.properties.

Is this a real concern or this is exactly the reality and I have to configure the scheduler as written?

Thanks in advance
Ale