[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Creating an audit trail

Phillip Thurmond do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Oct 6 16:05:16 EDT 2010

Phillip Thurmond [http://community.jboss.org/people/pthurmond%40jboss.com] created the discussion

"Creating an audit trail"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/565207#565207

I'm trying to construct an audit mechanism for my JBPM processes.  When I first saw the event section in the user guide, I thought it would be perfect, but, after looking at the example, it seems that events are almost completely worthless.  The reason for this is that you a) have to explicitly scatter events in your processes (a real nightmare if you have a lot of them) and b) have to explicitly tell it which class is a listener.  I thought the whole point of events was that you didn't need to know what or how many listeners were listening.  You could just generate an event and every listener who had registered would know about it.  Am I missing something here?

In any case, here's what I would like to do.  I would like have an audit class which is notified on every step of a process.  The audit class may choose to record these steps and some of the variables which would allow reconstruction of the "flow" of a specific execution of a process.  I welcome any ideas about how to best implement this since it doesn't seem to be provided by default.

Thanks,
Phillip