[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - How we use jface databinding in Deltacloud Tools

Andre Dietisheim do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Oct 15 13:55:11 EDT 2010

Andre Dietisheim [http://community.jboss.org/people/adietish] modified the document:

"How we use jface databinding in Deltacloud Tools"

To view the document, visit: http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-15964

h1. Less code
If you use jface databinding to code your swt views in Eclipse you'll get spared from writing listeners and updating code by hand. JFace databinding offers very nice abstractions and automatisms that offer funcitonalities for the vast majority of the tasks where you have to listen for user input and update the view accordingly.

*Premise*
If you implement a complex and highly dynamic UI in Eclipse you'll have to code many many many listener that wait for user actions. Those listeners mostly do nothing spectacular but update widgets and models in reaction to the user inputs. You end up with a lot of repetitive boilerplate code. UI frameworks in the non-java land (ex. http://qt.nokia.com/products/  Trolltechs QT) already have approaches that are far more elegant and slick than what we knew for Swing and SWT.
By luck Eclipse has progressed in this area (since 2005!) and offers neat abstractions that help a lot in this area and lead to far more concise and a less verbose implementations: Jface Databinding!
h1. Solution

h1. Conclusion

Comment by going to Community
[http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-15964]

Create a new document in JBoss Tools at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=102&containerType=14&container=2128]