[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Re: Working around transaction timeouts

dfisher do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 15 11:59:21 EDT 2010

dfisher [http://community.jboss.org/people/dfisher] created the discussion

"Re: Working around transaction timeouts"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/562021#562021

After some research I'm not certain I can get the behavior I need.
I was able to isolate transactions for a specific use case where I know the invoking client does not have a transaction:

  invoke Task [SSB with @TransactionAttribute(NOT_SUPPORTED)]
          invoke Search [SSB with @TransactionAttribute(REQUIRED)], look up entities to operate on
          for each entity
            invoke Operation [SSB with @TransactionAttribute(REQUIRED)], perform operation

This does execute the Search and Operation methods in separate transactions and allow run times greater than the default timeout for the Task method.
However, if the client invoking Task is not an MBean, but rather another business component, it's transaction will be suspended while the Task runs and will timeout after 5 minutes.

So am I understanding this correctly?
You can gain some control over transaction timeouts, but only if you know your clients are not using a transaction.