[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - reading application startup files in JBoss 4 vs 5

Nilesh Thali do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Sep 17 17:51:56 EDT 2010

Nilesh Thali [http://community.jboss.org/people/jo_atman] created the discussion

"reading application startup files in JBoss 4 vs 5"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/562510#562510

Hello,
We have a slightly modified configuration for our app, that worked in JBoss 4.0.0, but doesn't in JBoss 5.1.0.
We copied the "web" configuration (under JBoss5.1.0/server/web) to create our own setup.
our war file contains a web.xml that specifies a servlet and a properties file that's a parameter for the servlet at startup.
This properties file is at the top level of our JBoss instance.
e.g.
we have
JBoss5.1.0/server/myConfiguration
 |-- myServer.properties
 |-- deploy
      |-- myWar.war

myWar.war has a web.xml containing the following snippet:
<servlet>
  <servlet-name>StartListener</servlet-name>
  <servlet-class>com.sabre.common.webservices.server.ServerStartupService</servlet-class>
  <init-param>
   <param-name>startupFile</param-name>
   <param-value>*myServer.properties*</param-value>
  </init-param>
  <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
 </servlet>
JBoss 4.0.0 had no problems finding the myServer.properties file located in myConfiguration, but JBoss 5.1.0.GA throws a "FileNotFoundException".

Any ideas on what we need to change to get it to work?

I guess the second question would be - what are other (better) ways of doing this?

Thanks,
Nilesh