[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Re: tuning of JVM

Peter Johnson do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Sep 19 17:57:24 EDT 2010

Peter Johnson [http://community.jboss.org/people/peterj] created the discussion

"Re: tuning of JVM"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/562601#562601

The horizonatl line, and noted in the 101 paper, is the ideal. Not app apps will reach that ideal, or to reaach it they might require prohibitively large amounts of heap space. I think that what you have here looks really good, you should get major collections only occasionally, which is the goal.

You could increase the heap size (if you have free RAM) and the new size accordingly, that might make a better graph.

Finally, the 101 and 201 papers are fairly old (I think JDK 1.5 was not even out yet for the 101 paper). My recent experiments showed that JDK 6 will automatically adjust the new size to about 1/3 the heap size after a dozen or so collections, so setting new size in JDK 6 is not as important as it once was. (My Java performance seminar at this year's CMG Conference has a slide showing this.)

Start a new discussion in Performance Tuning at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2078]