[jboss-user] [jBPM] - How to make console reload process instances after a recycle

jjfutt do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Aug 6 23:30:54 EDT 2011

jjfutt [http://community.jboss.org/people/jjfutt] created the discussion

"How to make console reload process instances after a recycle"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/619789#619789

Hello All:

I am trying to understand how to make the console show instances that are were in process when the server was restarted, as well as how to load instances (for visibility purposes) that might have been initiated by different java processes with different sessions. To further explain my questions, let me describe what I have done so far.

(1) Installed the JBPM 5 demo
(2) Used the instructions provided by Kris Verlaenen in a different thread ( http://community.jboss.org/message/577830#577830 http://community.jboss.org/message/577830) to configure the demo with a different database. In my case, I configured it with an Oracle database.
(3) Re ran the "ant install.demo" task to make the database chagne effective. (Note: I also changed hibernate hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto policy to validate to avoid recreating the tables again and again).
(4) Ran the demo.

At this point, everything works well. I can start process instances of the "Evaluation" process from the demo using the console. I see the tasks for user kris, john, and mary. And I see the rows getting created and updated in the database tables as expected. However what I also see is that:

Observation: If I recycle the server, all database info is wiped out. I set the hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto to validate to avoid this. However, now when I recycle the server, the data from previous instances of the running processes (that were waiting on the completion of the human task) and the session is still there after the restart. However, the Console DOES NOT show these instances. Also, the pending human tasks do not show up in the 'Tasks' section within the console.

Question 1: How can I force the console the reload the instances (And hence allow us to check the status ) of process instances that are still active but were initiated before the server recycle?

Question 2: When the console is started, in which condition it creates a 'new' session in the database and in which condition does it load the previous session. Before I changed the hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto policy to validate, the entire set of tables were being recreated upon recycle. Now that hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto is set to validate, each time I start the server, the console apparantely uses the same session id that it created the very first time. However, it doesn't automatically load the previous process instances that were created using that session.

Question 3: If we initiate process instations from other java components running as independent applications outside of the console, they may have different session ids. Is the console supposed to show all active process instances across all sessions, or does it only show process instances from its own session? Is it possible to make the console show instances from a specific session?

Question 4: the "Evaluation" process part of the demo, does not get reloaded into the console when I restart the server. Also the pending human tasks (for john and mary for example) don't show up in the tasks section either. How can I force the console to reload and resume the processes after the recycle?

Thank you all in advance.