[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: Community Contribution to User Guide?

Esteban Aliverti do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Aug 15 09:14:11 EDT 2011

Esteban Aliverti [http://community.jboss.org/people/eaa] created the discussion

"Re: Community Contribution to User Guide?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/621009#621009

I agree wit you. It would be great if the community could help in the documentation area. The documentation is a good starting point for further contributions like patches and new features. If you want to start helping with the documentation you need to have a basic knowledge in these technologies/applications/frameworks:
* git: JBPM project is hosted in Github ( https://github.com/droolsjbpm/jbpm https://github.com/droolsjbpm/jbpm). If you want to start digging in the source code or in the documentation the best thing to do is to create a Github account and to fork jbpm project. Once you forked it you need to clone it to your computer. The documentation is under jbpm-docs directory. I would reccomend you to create different branches for the different features you are working on.
* dockbook: JBPM documentation uses dockbook. This framework allows you to create documents using xml. You can start at looking how the current documntation is defined to get confortable with it.
* maven: this is the build system used by JBPM. Once you have made all your changes and additions, you can create the resulting PDF document or HTML using maven. A simple "$mvn clean install" will do it for you.
When all the changes and additions are ready, you can create a Pull-Request from your fork (and branch) to jbpm repository using Github UI. A Pull-Request is the way Github uses to merge changes from different (but related) repositories. Someone from the JBPM team will review your changes, and apply them (if they are ok).

For further instructions on how and where you can start contributing to the documentation, please visit #jbpm channel in irc.codehaus.org

Good luck! I hope to start seeing your Pull-Requests soon!  :)

Best Regards,